Any other Achievement/Unique feature/Best Practices
- ZEPHYR is the News letter of the Department showing the activities, creativity and achievements of the students and staff. The advanced learners are encouraged to take up editing and printing of the news letter.
- Two volumes of ‘Updation & Awareness’ are prepared in the academic year 2009-10 and 2010-11. Latest discoveries and inventions are collected by the students and made in to books.
- Student achievers are awarded by giving incentives and certificates.
- Man versus animal – A wall poster display, to bring the awareness about the friends and enemies of human beings.
- Introduction of Vermicomposting to school children. It is aimed at providing hands on experience to the students of the school who can take up organic farming in their premises.
- ‘Spread the Light’-A Literacy programme designed for the auxiliary staff of the college with the use of visual aids. Student volunteers are involved in the programme.
- Dept of Zoology organized an Haemoglobin estimation extension programme in collaboration with NSS unit of our college at Govt High school, Deval Jham Singh Model Cluster School, Bojgutta for IX & X girl students on 16-3-11.
The Department provided practical material to Kasturba Gandhi P.G & Degree College, secunderabad, Vani degree college, Malakpet, Hyderabad and Andhra Mahila Sabha, Nallakunta, Hyderabad for conducting practical examinations.
Updating the Museum
Enriching the museum is a continuous activity of the department. With the introduction of Fisheries in the Academic year 2010-2011 for the final year students the museum –Annimalia has been improved by the addition of fishes & prawns which were collected from different sources by the students.
- ‘Indira Priyadarshini National Award’ presented by Health Care International –November 2010.
- ‘Rashtriya Vidya Saraswathi Puraskar Award’ presented by International Institute of Education & Management –November 2010.
- ‘National Mahila Rattan Gold Medal Award’ presented by Indian Solidarity Council –November 2010.
- ‘Shiksha Bharati Puraskar’ Awarded by All India Achievers Foundation ,New Delhi for outstanding contribution to National Development, December 2010.
- Leader ship Award by National Board of Inspire India Feb 2011
- Best poster presentation at International Conference on “Climate change perspective & projections – A system approach at O. U., Hyderabad, AP, 10-12 Dec., 2010.
- "Leadership Award" awarded by National Board of Inspire India –February - 2011
- Awarded best paper presentation in the International Conference on Biological sciences & Engineering (ICBE 2010) organized by Cafet Innova and Nottingham Trent University UK and Dept.of Zoology ,St.Anns college for women at St. Ann's college.
Linkage with other Departments
Department collaborates with Nutrition and Genetics departments for interdisciplinary research.
Gold Medals Instituted
- Dr.Sunitha Rao former lecture in Zoology, in memory of her father Dr.V.S.C.Rao instituted a gold medal in the year 1997 for the topper in Zoology paper-III.
- Dr.J.S.Rajeswari , Reader in the Zoology in memory of her father Sri.J.R.Govinda Reddy instituted a gold medal in the year 2007 for the topper in Zoology –paper IV.
- Dr.A.Priyamvada Devi Instituted a gold medal in memory of her parents Sri.G.V.Joga Rao & G.S.Lalitha Devi for overall topper in Zoology (Theory) .to be awarded from the academic year 2011-12 onwards.
- Alumini of the Department instituted a gold medal for Topper in Zoology Paper-I to be awarded from the academic year 2011-12 onwards
Student Centric Activities
- “Best out of Waste” competition – 6-11-2006
- “Scope of Biological Science” collage competition (2007-2008) - 13-8-2008
- Intercollegiate competition in “Photography – A means of Communication” organized in connection with the silver jubilee celebrations of the college (1983-2008) conducted on 10-9-2008.
- Calligraphy competition conducted on 11-8-2010 for the students.
- Pencil sketch competition and intercollegiate collage competition was conducted on World Fisheries day – 21st November 2010.
- Poster Presentation on ‘Study of a Freshwater Lake –Hussain Sagar, AP’ ,in the National Seminar on Agriculture ,Development & Environment, organized by Dept of Zoology, Nizam college, Hyderabad on 19-9-2010 by Mrs. K. Tabassum, along with students Nousheen and Safura of I year RCZ.
- Celebration of World Fisheries Day on 21st of November every year.
- Museum open day: In connection with Annofesta, museum is kept open for the students of schools and colleges in the neighborhood.
- Involvement of students in enriching the museum: Students are motivated to collect specimens either as project or on voluntary basis to update the museum and also to create a sense of belongingness among them.